Friday, May 20, 2005

Who Needs the Comedians?

Unquestionably one of the worst jobs you can have is that of the comedian. Well, obviously I'd rather be a comedian then someone who does actual work, but you get my point. Anyway, when I say "comedian" I do in fact mean "stand-up comedian".

Firstly, the higher percentages of stand-up comedians have material that sounds as though it was all written by the same person — or factory. Their whole personalities in fact are identical. You know what I mean: that sarcastic tone, the wry observations. It's all the same in the end. Then there's the ethnic comedians, the fat comedians and the gay comedians. They're lucky, aren't they? All of their material revolves around their ethnicity, weight and sexual preference. Usually comparisons between the way 'ordinary' white folks do things, and the way they do things. Etcetera, etcetera.

What I hate most about stand-up comedians is the repetition. There are very few comedians who do an entirely different show every night, so whenever I'm watching one I just get the feeling they're trying to remember words, and nothing else. They look as though they don't care what they're saying. As a result, I don't.

Basically I hate the medium. I had better points and arguments, but I forget them now and I'll just end this rubbish here.

6 comments:

Hugh said...

I agree, Hugh is a genius.

Hugh said...

Typical, isn't it? The only comments I get from unkowns are from a machine and an illiterate wanker who thought it wise and, perhaps, funny to combine our names, respectively.

Hugh said...

With the best being Goben.

Hugh said...

Memories. Them was the great all days.

Hugh said...

That's understandably. It was the time when most of us got our best work done.

Ben said...

It was the more likely time for my arse's great height to be attained, 'tis true.