Saturday, May 27, 2006

By the Buckles

Juicy was, as per, sitting nonchalantly on the veranda with some sort of beverage and some sort of reading material. The accompanying day was, while not being sunny, wonderful and still, and it also happened to be precisely the right temperature for an extemporisational adventure. Meanwhile, we're unclear as to whether it was a weekend or a weekday, but that hardly matters. Oh and did I mention the mirror? No? Good. That hardly matters either. Anyway, here was Juicy on this specific day, reading and drinking.

"Morning, Juicy" said Harlot, fimbling with his toe and collar.
"Oh, hullo," said Juicy, looking up. "How's it?"
"Oh, not too bad. A bit on the ragged side, you know, but it's bound to clear up."
"Ah. I see."
"Yeah. You?"
"Me? Oh, I'm just the usual."
"Is that a good thing?"
"You know, I think it is."
"Terrific."
"And it's a nice day, too."
"It is! Not sunny, but still and lovely. I really enjoy these sort of days. Could be my favourite."
"Oh, me too. They're marvelous."
"They are."
There was, predictably, a reflective pause.
"Watcha reading?" asked Harlot after it.
"Oh, you know. A lovely little book."
"How lovely! Which one, if you don't mind my asking?"
"I don't mind a bit. Oh, and it's The Lovely Serials."
"Can't say I've heard of that, but it sounds great."
"It is! It's these lovely little stories about these gals who travel around and solve mysteries. You know, magnifying glasses and ancient treasure. Marvelous stuff."
"That does sound marvelous! I might take a look-see sometime."
"Oh, you should. I recommend it."
"In fact, I might just write it down now. What did you say the title was again?"
"The Lovely Serials."
"Ah yes, that was it. Thanks."
"You are most welcome, sir."
"And you are most lovely, madam."
Juicy giggled.
"Silly."
"And proud of it," said Harlot, bursting into a grin. "Anyway, I must be off. I have one or two pressing errands to attend to."
"Oh, you mean the ironing?"
"Now who's silly? But no, my lovely lady. Just sugar-borrowing and that sort of thing."
"Oh, sure. Have fun."
"I'll do my best, lovely. I hope you enjoy the rest of this fine day, and drop in on me anytime."
"I will."
"You will to which?"
"Whichever, sir."
"In that case, I will wave off and see you — or not see you — then. Goodbye!"
"Bye, sir."

No comments: