Friday, June 03, 2005

A Pointless Exchange Starring Regan Burns

By Hugh Hamilton And Harry Brimage.

It was a cold day in June when two friends met up on a path.
"Hello," said Ted.
"Yes this thing is the biggest pain to set up," said Albert cryptically.
"Haven't they met yet?" asked Ted, for he knew what he was talking about. "I thought you got them on a date last week. At least that's what George told me."
"You know he's a notorious liar," said Albert.
"Yes, but I thought he was happy about all this."
"He's hard to work out."
"Looks like I'll have to wait until morning to play this blasted thing," complained Albert, revealing his well-polished instrument.
"Yes, your violin teacher told me about that."
"She's such a bitch."
"Language."
They stood in silence for a moment and admired the river.
"What did you tell Sally about George?" said Ted finally.
"I told her that he's got a great imagination," replied Albert. "Which is actually code for 'he's a terrible liar'."
"Ha ha. Does this mean George stood her up?"
"That or she stood him up".
"That'll teach you to play match-maker."
"Well it didn't affect me. So I don't see why."
"You're a hard nut to crack, Albert."
"You make more sense during the day."
"Well I never said I was a night person."
"Actually I think you did once. But in a different context."
"When I was mad, you mean?" Ted shot Albert a serious look.
"May have been," Albert answered.
"Don't scoot around the issue, Albert. If it was when I was mad, just tell me."
"Ok. It was."
"Thank you. I don't want any special treatment."
"That’s not what you told me during work."
"No, that's not what I told you during work. What's your point?"
"Well I guess work is different."
"Yes, work is different. You're really a man of observations today, aren't you Albert?"
"I am."
"Still, with that wife of yours I can't blame you." added Ted.
"Yes well she is reading this over my shoulder y'know. She says hi," Albert indicated the wife-shaped figure beside him.
"You are hard to follow sometimes, Albert. What exactly is she reading over your shoulder? She looks to me like she's just staring blankly at the river."
"She thinks she can read the river. If I knew she was daft I wouldn't have married her."
"We've all made that mistake."
"For once you are right."
"I can be quite prophetic sometimes – when I'm not being mad, that is." mused Ted.
"When is your next mad session scheduled?"
"Right after the Cracked one."
"Ah good."
After a pause, Albert said:
"I think I'll be away then."
"Oh goodbye. Say hello to the missus." said Ted jovially.
"I will try. I doubt she'll acknowledge it though."
"Goodbye."
"Goodbye."
They didn't see each other again until the following year when they both flew planes into the World Trade Centre in New York. This was after it had already been hit though, so they only succeeded in killing themselves.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

New York was fun.

Hugh said...

Thanks man-o.