Friday, July 22, 2005

Mr. Bee's Debut

The eponymous Mr. Bee rose from his chair as I entered.
"Hellow," he said with a friendly grin.
"Hello," I concurred. "How's things?"
He thought for a moment.
"Things are good, perhaps," he said finally. "What about you?"
"I'm fine."
"That's good."
One of those gangly Lampshades entered.
"So I was riding my camel, see," it said, "when all of a sudden, a great windstorm rose from its chair and swept me off-a-my saddle. I landed in the hot sand, see, and the camel came-a-tumbling down beside me. So there we were: two perfectly able creatures beat by a bit o' wind. It was degrading, I'll tell ya. And I wasn't about to sit there and take it. So what I did, you see, was rise from the sand and throw my two fists at that wind with all the power that was left in my tank. But my hands just fell through it, and the nasty wind laughed with a roar that again swept me closer to earth. Heed my words, patrons: don't go-a-tackling no wind!"
"Yes, sir," said good ol' Mr. Bee. "Consider them heeded."
"Aw, that's awful kind of you," said the Lampshade. "No one much trusts me 'round here."
"The End," said Mr. Bee.

No comments: