Sunday, November 13, 2005

More Dead Words

Yeah yeah. I mainly grumbled about that because I was fed up with myself. I'm not saying that songs are the ultimate vehicle for words, because obviously you can cut a whole lot deeper with a novel or even a poem, but songs, when done right, are infinitely more pleasurable to experience. And it's a visceral pleasure. Sometimes you can read a poem and think "Why don't you just come out with it, Yeats? You're a lonely, miserable bugger in some vanity tower by the river. We get the picture." Yes, you can defend it by the way he says it; the beauty of the words and all that jazz, but that's nothing compared to what you can get from a great piece of music. Music transcends intellectualism. And yes, I know it's really idiotic to compare the two mediums. Basically all I'm trying to say is that music has leapt to the top of my pile, and this argument is purely a matter of my personal taste. In my last medium ranking post, if you'll remember, I placed writing at the top, with the justification that it's "the most expressive". I meant "expressive" in an intellectual kind of way; profound ideas and all that. Well, now I've thoroughly gone off profundity. It's just me, of course. Writing is a terrific medium.

Ironically I once stole from Yeats and compromised him heavily in a song. It was all that shit about swans too. Thanks Bob.

1 comment:

Hugh said...

Uh huh; words aren't dead, it's just my fingers.

Well, the local sports team managed to overcome a not-so-local sports team on the weekend. Or so I've heard.

How's tits and barbecues?