Friday, November 11, 2005

The Mediums Mach Their Second Territory

1. Music.
Easily the most enjoyable medium to experience, and that's all there is to it.
2. Writing.
Dead words that occasionally elicit pleasure. The Human Condition™ doesn't bear scrutiny, however, so most of it is rubbish. At least with a song you have a tune to fall back on.
3. Film.
In the hands of such a lot fools trying to anathematise the way that you feel, but has produced a handful of pleasant distractions.
4. Art.
Still dead, but if you avoid the galleries you may find something that's worth a look.
5. Theatre.
Yeah right.

With life-affirming love and affection,

Hugh

3 comments:

MrT said...

Dead words! Dead words! Give them a life! You are very harsh with writing MrH/H, I sense dissatisfaction here...
hm?

Hugh said...

Firstly, glad to hear from you, and secondly, yes, I suppose I am dissatisfied. Like film before it, I have grown disillusioned with the medium, and it's mostly through the fault of my own fingers. Not that I have fully scaled it yet, but thank you very much for mentioning Tristram Shandy. That's the sort of stuff that really inspires me. Hurray for pre-post-modernism! Or should I say proto-post-modernism? Well, I probably shouldn't say anything and instead let the pigeons off their leashes.

Anyway, some styles of intellectual writing have suffocated me second hand. And by that I mean I've avoided them with not much cause. So basically I'm holding out until I grow to hate music too. Hopefully that won't happen.

Cheerio.

Hugh said...

That's what lyric sheets are for.