Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Plates and Plexiglas

Told to buy three pounds of big fat fish, I returned instead with a slim slice of chocolate cake, which, I soon discovered, wasn't exactly the best fish substitute on the market. Nevertheless, I stood by my word and smugged the askers with a well-honed and perfectly weighted plate of stubbornness until they had no choice but to throw up their hands (which took them quite a while, as the fact that their hands were in their stomachs ironically prevented them from gagging the bulimic way) and accept fate's basket, admittedly my concoction. Of course the fact that I wasn't paid for my errand put a big fat three pound dampener on my celebrations, which had dubious origins anyway.

My house in its foundations was soon returned to after this encounter thanks to my presence therein. I inevitably fixed myself a carefully orchestrated cup of brown and gazed headlong out of one of my windows — well, both actually, in between blinking. And it was a nice day. Earlier, you see, when I was firmly in paragraph one, it wasn't as weatherly pleasant. Mucky rain and blotchy heat, neither offering relief from each other. Now (or then, as it turned out) I was rather chuffed to discover I hadn't, in fact, taken the weather with me. But Ben's cringe aside, it was perfectly balanced between two extremes, and incapable of getting anyone sensible down.

It was later that I slipped into mood mode and reached for the phone. But she sounded bored and spouted clichés, so I withdrew my funds and surfed for my fix instead. Soon the dusk audience dawned on me, and I began to feel that this unhealthy motif should be shelved and, perhaps, repressed. Ne'er to be mentioned again. I'll take the stage, sure, but I won't stay back and clean the curtains any more. Cue Ben's classy eyes going glassy. Internal scolding hurts the worst.

"I know," I said, for I knew.
"All the more reason to cease," added Ben.
"I know."
"Do you still want me to go and get coffee?"
"Hmm," began Bobshot. "I'm still not allowed to improvise?"
"No," I said firmly.
"Oh," said Bobshot. "In that case, yeah."

But Ben never left. Maybe it's a kind of "Waiting For Godot" thing or something.

I, on the other hand, is the lover's letter. Or so I keep telling myself. Not aloud, of course. But then there's that unforeseen. That wonderful unforeseen. And that equally magnificent future it's probably not attached to.

Thanks for the bullshit.

No comments: