Saturday, September 09, 2006

The Good Heavens

As you are all no doubt fully aware, the now-absent witnessed, sans permission, the whole sorry scene from the panoramic view offered by the key-shaped hole in the door we were behind, and no matter how present and diverse the spread of missing sheets, his forty-seven year old bones do not reacquaint themselves with us, and neither do the ligaments and skin attached to them. But our voices still boom down wind-swept streets and mottled fields whenever a free hour comes our way, knowing, as we do, that guilt is cleansed by feigning concern.

The offending scene played thus:

Me: My darling Nasturtium, how goes you this morning?
Nasturtium: I goes quite fine, thank you, sir. And yourself?
M: Myself is fine too. Would you care to hear a joke, little love?
N: I'd love to care to hear a joke, my bare bedfellow.
M: Then I shall hear you one.
N: Splendid.
M: You are, o lady of my love.
N: I are?
M: You are, my darling Nasturtium.
N: Then, my endearing dear, I thank you.
M: And I accept, little love. And to that joke I go now.
N: And I too.
M: What is it you get if you cross maize with a college?
N: I don't think I'm sure.
M: A unicorn!


And so on. You can understand why such an exchange sent him fleeing. Both of us regret our actions, and if we were allowed the chance to repeat our actions, we would not.

Tomorrow is our wedding, the second for both of us, having each seen the outs of premature love, and we are both going to be secretly hoping our friend appears and reconciliation is achieved. Before I go on, I should tell you we met while waiting for the 250 on a particularly rainy day. She had forgotten her umbrella.

It's funny how false starts lead to the very right person. For all intents, we will not be split henceforth. Not even such an event as above can twain us. My darling Nasturtium and I, culprits of our friend's hiding, are what's known as two sides of the same coin, and as inseparable as the same. Also, if it were up to me, this would be titled My Darling Nasturtium, and what a fitting title it would be!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

STILL no title??? Geez, I think you're putting too much thought into this